Freedom Defender

Reporting on politics, society, principles, Christian interest and news that intrigues me.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Religion: Do We Need It?

Interested parties have inquired about my denominational leanings. For public interest, I'm a Born Again Christian who holds of a combination of Evangelical, Charismatic and Liturgical (Roman Catholic-like) views (I have been active member in each type of Church - and I am currently involved in a Bible believing Church). I guess mainstream American Christianity now is probably somewhere close to Evangelical Christianity and also has proponents of a Christian-moral-society. I believe I'm close enough to mainstream American Christianity to be able to speak for it. The Born Again Christians see Mainstream American Christianity filled with many non-believers. Some of the cultural-Christians think that Christianity is good and that it's the right way to do things (how can I argue with that?).

I have responded to people that have asked me if I was religious, "No. I'm not Religious. I'm Spiritual." I do however consider myself in the category of the "Religious Right". I do believe that the mainstream of American Christianity views itself as religious. I take my belief as not being "religious" mostly from lyrics of a Christian singer's song (Scott Wesley Brown). The song says "I'm not religious, I just love the Lord". I'm not religious in the sense that I am not "Baptist", I'm not "Roman Catholic", I'm not "Lutheran", I'm not "Presbyterian". A religion does not get me into heaven. Following a set of rules is not what saves me. Most religions are about following sets of rules.

What I follow is not a religion. I follow a man, who lived and walked the Earth 2000 years ago. I follow Jesus Christ. That makes me a Christian. The teachings of Jesus Christ and the Bible are what I follow... not what some Church says (although I have a home Church that I attend regularly). I am a Christian because I took a look at my life and I realized that I've done things that are wrong (sin). I've done things that are hurtful to myself; I've done things that are hurtful to others; and I've done things that are hurtful to God (all of these three are sin). I've admitted that I AM a sinner.

I believe that Jesus Christ who was a man, but was also God (born of God through the virgin Mary), lived on this Earth. I believe that as a man Jesus (the son of God) did not sin. As a perfect sinless person Jesus was killed. Jesus did not resist being killed because he came to die for my sins. Jesus died for my mistakes.

I believe that we all don't deserve to go to heaven, because of the bad things that we have done. We can't do enough good deeds to get to heaven. There is no way I can work my own way into heaven. I know this because the Bible says "all our righteous acts are like filthy rags". Even our best efforts are filthy rags.

Instead of me spiritually dying for my mistakes for my sin... the perfect sinless Jesus Christ took my sin and died in my place. I believe Jesus went to Hell for my sins, in my place, and then Jesus conquered death and joined His Father in heaven, so that I may be free from the bondage and burden of my own sin and wrongs. This is how I can get access into heaven... not because of something I've done, but because Jesus did it for me. I just accept Jesus as my Lord (my leader) and my Savior (my forgiver) and I become a follower of Him.

This offer was not made exclusively for me but for all. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16). It doesn't matter who you are... your race... your political ideology or even your sexual history (orientation). Jesus has offered his life for mine and for whosoever wants to accept Him as the Lord (leader) of their life.

Does that sound like something interesting to you?

4 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heck No! We don't need religion!!! We need Jesus! Even evangelicals, and that includes me (I'm an evangelical christian).

 
At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We do not need religion or a belief in any god to lead decent lives or have good moral and ethical values.
It concerns me that some people only behave themselves or are good, kind, respectful, charitable, moral etc. based on a primitive rewards and punishment system.
I am a good person with concern for other things, (human/animal/vegetable/mineral) and respect for the planet on the basis of my core values. I have never believed in a god and do not feel it is necessary to be blackmailed into being good by some fear of a fictitious historical character. People know from an early age the difference between good and bad and our brains enable us to make conscious choices based on our morality and values and doing what is right.

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree withthe previous poster, I would prefer the company of a genuinely good, kind, moral atheist any day over a person who only behaved well for fear of going to 'hell' or to be rewarded in 'heaven'.
Experience has taught me that believing in a god does not make people nicer or more decent. We all have consciences and choices and know right from wrong.
Religion is responsible for more division, hatred and bigotry than any other man made institution and should long since have been confined to the realms of historical fiction.
I am proud to be a good, moral atheist and take full responsibility for my thoughts and deeds which originate from my capacity to think for myself and use reason and common sense.

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger FreedomDefender said...

I see there is a thought that all or most theists believe that people only behave for a fear of hell or a promise of rewards. Why do you believe this? And what is this based on?

I certainly don't believe that, so why do you? Please explain... thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home